Monday 3 September 2012

FrightFest : The Films : Part 2 : Friday

For me personally, Friday was not the greatest of days filmwise...

The day started with me groggy eyed and quite tired which didn't bode well for the rest of the day / weekend - feeling like I'd just woken up from receiving an anaesthetic (not a hangover just exhaustion leftover from my boring but busy office job) we had to change hotels. So it was an early start and quite a bit of rushing around but luckily we made it back to the Empire for Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut

Now, I'm not sure if it was because of the aforementioned tiredness or because I haven't seen Nightbreed before, but Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut was a bit lost on me. Halfway through I felt like I'd somehow passed out and woken up having missed vital parts of the film - I have no idea if this did actually happen but I don't remember falling asleep or waking up so I can only assume it was just the pure confusing nature of this cut. Basically, it's the original Nightbreed cut together with a load of fuzzy, lost footage which the makers found on some old VHS tapes - some of which is barely audible and some of which you feel like you have to squint and turn your head sideways to have a chance of knowing what was going on. Don't get me wrong - some of it was great and I'd love to see the original Nightbreed at some point or even maybe this cut of the film just not when I'm so tired.

After Nightbreed: the Cabal Cut there was an interview with Italian horror legend Dario Argento. This should have been great but was slightly hindered by the language barrier (not his or anyone's fault but it may have been a good idea to get an interpreter in - I mean they managed to get one for the Chilean director of Hidden in the Woods!) but was generally quite interesting in parts especially when Argento started to tell a story about Rutger Hauer, a bush and a Russian woman that I'm sure wasn't supposed to be for public consumption. Also his views on remakes were great and similar to mine. However, a massive shadow was cast over this interview once the audience Q & A started - some of the dumbest questions I've ever heard asked, some weren't even questions at all but were, instead a love letter told to over 1,500 people and then, a woman came up with a wedge of paper filled with questions she wanted to ask Dario including her asking him to come to her home country (France) and make a film with all French actors - she even asked if she could give him a script she had written!

After a short(ish) break there was a Chilean film called Hidden In The Woods. I should have seen the warning signs when the director came on stage before the film and said in broken English (despite having an interpreter at his side) that he thought we would like it as it is about sexy girls and is quite funny - this being said about a film that was about rape! The film itself was terrible. It started promisingly but then got worse and worse and the subtitles parallelled the falling quality of the film as it went on. Featuring a cum spitting montage of a girl who has been raped and is prostituting herself to feed her sister and nephew and a tasteless shot of her boobs jiggling around all over the place in a titillating fashion right after we have just seen her get horrifically raped. As I said the subtitles were awful and completely laughable in places (the whole cinema was in stitches at times) with varying spellings of "hooker" such as "hoocker" and odd phrases such as when a character asks "how are you?" and the other character responds "Sunday"...I could go on forever...IT WAS NOT GOOD to put it mildly

Next was V/H/S which was a generally quite good horror anthology. There were a few really good short stories within this collection but by this point I was getting a bit fed up of seeing the same character over and over again; the misogynistic, frat boy type male stereotype who's main ambition is to capture a naked girl on camera. The films were generally well made and all were well acted and there were some great effects as well but I was at the point where I wanted to see something new.

We didn't see [REC]3 or Stitches as we had already seen both as screeners before FrightFest - so briefly, I thought [REC]3 was ok but didn't think it could stand up to the previous 2 films which I thought were brilliant - it seems I didn't like it nearly as much as everyone else did as everyone was raving about how much fun it was but maybe it's because me and Dave didn't watch it with the right crowd i.e the FrightFest crowd. Stitches was quite good - the Inbetweeners meets IT in my opinion and was good enough and quite funny but I feel slightly odd about it as I've seen the short film Stitches by BloodyCuts and kind of feel the feature is a slight rip off.

So instead of seeing those last too we grabbed a couple of quick slices of pizza (it's amazing how you can forget to eat), freshened up and headed to the Phoenix Artist Club...until around 3.30am...more about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment