Sunday, 22 September 2013

Zombie Cheek

Today I did the below test makeup – not for a particular project but for practice – practice makes perfect as they always say! I sculpted and moulded the prosthetic a month or so ago, but haven’t had the time to apply it. It’s supposed to be a kind of ripped cheek thing for a zombie character.

The appliance is Platsil Gel 10 encapsulated in Super Baldiez and painted with Skin Illustrator.

Due to the fiddly raised bits, the piece was a bitch to get out of the mould and I have to admit that I almost gave up altogether, especially when some of the Baldiez bits started to tear because I was trying to pull the piece out too hard. Lesson: use slightly more release agent!

I used Pros Aide to adhere the prosthetic to Dave’s lovely face – no problems there. Then when I started to stick around the nose I realised I’d “made a huge mistake” and that the edges were going to look awful.

I persevered and have come to the conclusion that it doesn’t actually look that bad. I mean it’s not great, but considering I haven’t tried a piece like this before I think it’s not too shabby. I can’t decide whether it looks better with or without blood… you decide!